Today one of the largest national museums of Russia, loyal friend and partner of the Spasskaya Tower Festival celebrates its 147th birthday.
For almost 150 years the magnificent building of Historical Museum has been crowning Moscow’s Red Square. Built in 1875–1883 one of the oldest museums of Moscow was purposefully designed to host Russia’s national collection of treasuries. The idea of its foundation emerged during the tremendously successful All-Russian Polytechnic Exhibition of 1872. It was put forward by the organizers of the exhibition Sevastopol section dedicated to the heroic defense of the city in the Crimean War, and by the explorers of the ancient city of Tauric Chersonesos. February 9, 1872 on behalf of Emperor Alexander II they were granted “his majesty’s permission” to erect in Moscow the building of Historical Museum named after Tsesarevich Alexander, son of Alexander II and future Emperor Alexander III. Hence, this day is regarded as the foundation of the State Historical Museum. The implementation of this fabulous idea united a plethora of great men including scientists, artists, industrialists, military men, state officials, members of the royal family as well as ordinary citizens. For its construction the Moscow City Duma allocated a piece of land on Red Square that initially was destined to its own building. In August 1875 Emperor Alexander II in person laid the first stone of the future museum. May 27, 1883 in course of the solemn celebrations dedicated to the coronation of Emperor Alexander III he and his wife Empress Maria Fedorovna visited Historical Museum.
On behalf of the Public Council and Directorate of the Spasskaya Tower International Military Music Festival we’d like to congratulate the whole team of State Historical Museum and wish you inexhaustible energy, new creative victories and achievements as well as further successes in preserving our national heritage for future generations.